Friday, February 24, 2012

OLD RECORDS

A stack of old records in my office is a constant reminder of my dad and his music.    They are all perfectly preserved in their covers with colorful, bold pictures of the artists.  He loved big bands, classical, jazz, and Latin music. 
Dad was an accomplished trumpet player and even played with the Harry James Band a few times.  He was a member of the Reno Municipal Band and formed his own jazz group called the Dixie Cats.  On a typical evening at home,  Dad would flip through his collection, carefully stack several records on the hifi turntable, lift his trumpet out of its velvet case, and play soulfully along with the music.  Percy Faith’s Viva and Malaguena were particular favorites and this music stirs old memories, sights and smells.  Mom would be in the kitchen cooking dinner, sending wonderful aromas wafting my way and all seemed right with the world.
After the Christmas bustle, I treated myself to a record player so I could finally play these treasures of days long gone.  My sister was here for dinner and we both turned dreamy and nostalgic at the sounds of Harry James and Montovani.  
Miss you, Dad.

1 comment: