Saturday, July 7, 2012

Traveling - Day 1

My son and I are traveling to Scandinavia and Germany together. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to see distant parts of the world that we remember fondly and to visit my adopted German family. Since I only had a week to put this all together, I have been in frenzied stress mode, hoping I have all the details covered. The Men In Black Shuttle Service picked us up at o dark hundred and deposited us at the airport. Why am I always such a nervous mess? Panic creeps up my spine and tightens my throat as a thousand worries sprout. Will our suitcases pass weight requirments? Did I forget anything at home? Do I have our passports? I check my purse over and over to make sure I have boarding passes, Eurorail passes, hotel confirmations. We get through checkin without any problems. Whew. We doze off and on on the way to New Jersey where we change planes for Copenhagen. Then we're off. We're really on our way! We sit next to a sweet young Danish girl who gives us helpful tips on things to see and do in Copenhagen. I usually suffer miserably from jet lag. This time I am armed with herbal remedies that I'm hoping will make this trip easier. The TV screens in front of our seats show an animated plane on a map of the world. We track our progress as we fly over Canada and Nova Scotia and over the Atlantic. I watch in envy as our Danish friend falls effortlessly and peacefully asleep. This presents a problem because Kyle and I have to use the bathroom. We have the middle and window seats and now have to figure out a way to crawl over the aisle seat occupied by Miss Denmark without waking her. We stare at her sleeping form and discuss strategies. After several false starts, Kyle decides to go for it and accidentally kicks her in the process (of course). She is startled awake and I apologize profusely. She is very forgiving and we all try to settle in for the evening, as much as possible while being crammed into a sardine can. This is the smallest plane I have ever flown to Europe on. There is absolutely no leg room or body room or breathing room. I worry how I will manage my restless leg syndrome during this uncomfortable flight along with all the other worries piled up in my head. Then I see the sunset. I have the best view in the world for the most beautiful sunset ever. I am 35,000 feet in the air viewing a wall of crimson that lasts for hours. This is bliss. My worries fade into the background and I glue my face to the window, determined to enjoy every last minute of this brilliant display.

2 comments:

  1. I know that claustrophobic feeling of a long crowded flight. The reward is just over the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad technology is working in your favor so you can share your photos and thoughts. Happy Days.

    ReplyDelete