Monday, October 1, 2012

Beach Rides


Photos by Peggy Jones

Riding my horse on the beach is one of the most exhilarating experiences.  There's something about sitting on your horse, watching the breaking waves, listening to the pounding surf, being dazzled by the sun sparkling off the blue water like diamonds, and oh yes, trying to keep your horse from lurching out from under you.  It takes a while to get most horses used to water, especially constantly moving, splashing water with seaweed floating toward you and big, scary, pounding wave noises.  Imperial Beach offers a beautiful, wide stretch  of beach from the border all the way to the river mouth.  We have been here quite often now, and each time, my horse acts like he's never seen a wave before.  I have to coax him sideways into the surf and he watches nervously as the waves splash down, sending a surge of water toward his hooves, then he does a clever little rear/spinning move to keep me on my toes.  I scold him (just a little), turn him back into the surf and we prance sideways while he keeps a suspicious eye on everything floating towards him.  (One time he caught me by surprise and reared up, smacking his head into mine which really, really hurt. I thought I had broken something and was probably dying. I yelled in pain and I think he knew he had hurt me and felt bad because he stood real still for a few moments while I rubbed the growing knot on my forehead and waited for the stars to disappear.)  Eventually he settles down because he has a good heart and really wants to try hard for me, and we get deeper into the surf so I can feel the water splashing on my bare feet.  At this point we are actually moving forward, parallel to the beach, instead of sideways.  Progress.  We splash along all the way to the border and back, enjoying the sunshine, sparkling water and ocean spray.   Yes, we have to work at it a little, but the end result is sheer bliss.  Oh, how I love the ocean.  And my horse.





My friend, Peggy Jones, took all these amazing photos.  If it weren't for her, I would never be able to go on all these fantastic rides.  Thank you, Champagne Sister Peggy!

1 comment:

  1. You never mentioned me at all in your blog here. I was there and took one of my favorite photos of all time - of you and Scotch, with the light behind. Please credit my photos when you use them. Artists are sensitive and need recognition for their work.

    ReplyDelete